Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ten things I know to be true... Inspired by Sarah Kay


Here is my list of ten things I know to be true. There’s no order and you might not accept or agree with my things, but that’s okay. I challenge you to make a list of your own.

Here’s the thing about comparing lists as told by Sarah Kay (check out the video at the end of this post). “First, someone has the exact same thing, or something very similar, on their list. Second, someone else has something the complete opposite as yours. Third, someone has something you have never even heard of before. And fourth, someone has something you thought you knew everything about, but they are introducing a new angle of looking at it.”

Here is what is on my mind. Enjoy, think, and fall in love.
  • Ecuador might be the most difficult experience in my life to date. AND I LOVE IT. There is so much unknown and wonder that consumes me in this place, and when I feel like I’m at my breaking point, I realize that I can go so much further than what I previously imagined.
  • Music and friends are the best medicine. Where one fails, the other succeeds. The best moments require no necessary explanation.
  • The state of “being” is my favorite place to be.
  •  God provides. My relationship with God hasn’t been at the forefront in recent years, but God has shown me no matter what, He is with me. That’s a pretty big deal when you’re in a country that doesn’t speak your native tongue.
  • Love has no borders. Whether it’s between friends, significant others, or family, I believe if the relationship is strong, distance will make the heart grow founder. With that said, small reunions also do wonders for the relationship.
  • While moving forward is important, accepting being at a standstill is just as important. Constantly moving is exhausting and confusing. Sometimes taking a breath, evaluating your surroundings, and smiling helps you learn more than pushing forward.
  •  The passions of others ignite my passions. Perhaps it’s the idea that with every new idea, I become I bit more knowledgeable and diverse than I was before.
  • I love to talk. But seriously, I LOVE to talk. I never realized the extent of it until I found that I was at a severe lack of (Spanish) words. Without conversation, I don’t feel fully myself. Full belly laughs, bright eyes, and uncontainable smiles result from stories. When I can’t achieve those things, I don’t feel like Trinity Ann. This can be very painful, but it only fuels my desire to learn.
  • Laughter is a beautiful thing. Laughter with strangers makes me love the world even more, because often times it is the unannounced that is the origin. Strike that, maybe it’s connections with strangers that makes me love the world a little bit more. The slight chance that this new person can enhance my person.
  • Time is never enough. I constantly wonder why God only put 24 hours in a day, because I have so much more than 24 hours of things to accomplish each day. Then I realize that we need to prioritize and give value to things above others. I have a little over three months left in Ecuador and I see the time ticking by so quickly. This isn’t enough time, but I’ll try to do my best with what I have left.

Please check out the TED talk by Sarah Kay that inspired this post. It’s medicine for the soul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0snNB1yS3IE 

Beautiful canyon on our way to Quilotoa.

Quilotoa's cater lake aka most gorgeous water I have ever seen.

Crater lakes are kinda the thing in Ecuador.

Had a wonderful visit from my best friend/sister. Words cannot describe how necessary it was to see her.

I had my first family vacation this past weekend!

I feel like it's mandatory to poke fun at mothers to share your love for them. 

With peace and love,  
      Trinity Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment