Sunday, January 26, 2014

Bobbypins and Iron


     When I was a senior in high school I started carrying around bobby pins because girls always needed them. I didn’t even use them myself. This is one of the silly things I do for people. During orientation, we were asked to share a bit about ourselves. Dreams, passions, oddities, etc. Sitting in a circle in the middle of a park, I shared that “People are my passion.” Since that day, it has become obvious that I need not state it because my attitude and actions speak for themselves. I’ll probably still say it because it gives me a warm tingling feeling but it’s nice to know that others can see it. So blog readers, please let me introduce you to some of the beauties who are making my stay in Ecuador amazing.

My host family (Alex, Sandy, Taina, and Julian)
     I absolutely love my host family! They have been nothing but great these past few weeks. Alex and Sandy are in their mid 30s and ask that I not call them Mom and Dad because “They’re too young for that.” Both are doctors and are pretty much on call for any BCA student who gets sick. Alex is a jokester. My Spanish skills are obviously lacking and I sometimes resort to the “Nod your head and smile” method. Alex takes full advantage of this and my lack of pop culture knowledge. Celebs, athletes, and others become key figures in his stories and we all end up laughing once I finally catch on( it takes awhile…) He also likes to tell me not to cry when I say goodnight. The other night I came home soaking wet after being caught in the rain and he asked why I was sad. Oh Alex…  My host mom’s name is Sandy. For a while I wondered if hosting an exchange student was Alex’s way of entertaining his wife. I assure you this is not the case. Sandy is a wonderful woman who is full of laughter and kindness. She loves her telenovelas (like all good Latin women) and talks a mile a minute when she’s with her family. Whenever we watch TV or movies, she is constantly saying someone is fat, skinny, ugly, or pretty. I’ve started contradicting her comments because I don't want my little sister constantly comparing herself to others or degrading other people based on their appearance. I truly do love conversations with Sandy and she always remembers details which is so lovely. Alex and Sandy have two children. Taina turned 7 on the 11th of January. She’s a little cutie who loves to play outside and run. She studies at a private school just down the road. The other day I rode with Sandy and Taina before school. Taina’s eyes were full of tears because she was just so tired that morning and Sandy told her she that she needed to say her prayers. So she closed her eyes and repeated after her mother, thank God for the day, family, health, and other things. I sat in the backseat in awe of this pleasant surprise. Julian is my brother and will turn 2 a few days after I leave in May. This little boy has my heart. He loves to climb, kick soccer balls, and sneak into my room while I’m doing homework. He’s full of laughter and smiles. The first days he hid behind his father’s legs but now it’s clear that I’m just one of the family to him. All in all, I’m so blessed to be with this family. They are patient with me and genuinely care. Some of my favorite moments have been laying on my parents’ bed with the kids crawling around and watching TV and sharing stories.

Tia Sofie
     Sofie is the younger sister of Sandy. She lives with her mother (my grandma), her twin sister, her son Ricky, and another BCA student named Ana. This girl is nothing but laughs! She constantly is cracking a joke and practicing her English (while also helping me practice my Spanish). We talk about soccer, tv shows, and social norms. She loves to tease and bother me, but the feeling is mutual. I promise there is a plethora of love in this family.

BCA students
     Where to begin? I’ve already shared a little about these wonderful people but I would like to give a few special shout outs. We have similarities and differences but I think we do a pretty good job of balancing each other out. So before the S/O to individuals, I’ll give some hashtags to attempt to describe who we are (social media for the win). #FutbolFanatics, #Volunteers #Partiers #ChurchGoers #Introverts #Extroverts #RuleBenders #ThoseWhoPlayItSafe #GoshenGoers #FluentSpeakers #Travelers #Adventurers #Musicians #Foodies #PeacePeople #Advocates #Critics #SoMuchMore Honestly, those hashtags don’t even begin to encompass who we are but I hope they give you a taste. For all our differences, I am grateful. 
     First shoutout goes out to Julia. This girl is a sweetest fighter I know. During our first trip outside Quito, she fell a couple meters and had to go to the hospital. She left with some nasty bruises and hurt ribs but her spirit was still intact and strong! Today, we sat looking out at South Quito and talked about how mighty our God is. She said she could never have imagined a city could be so beautiful. Her words ring true. The details of this city make the mind think twice and it is so obvious to us that we are cared for by our Father in Heaven.
     Mi tia Ana is the recipient of the second shoutout. Ana is a BCA student who lives with my host grandma. Born in Mexico, this girl has the Spanish flow in her words and her dance moves. During family get togethers, I’m thankful I can turn to her and she’ll explain why it seems like everyone is laughing. We also share a love of food. Ask us what we are thinking and about ¾ of the time we’ll say that we’re hungry. Ana’s upbeat spirit jumps whenever music starts playing. She’s easily on of my favorite people to walk down the street with because it hardly ever is just walking. We bop and pop and twirl all with smiles and laughter.
     Next goes to Nina or Niña as I sometimes call her. This chica is such an amazing help. Firstly, I love how much she loves Spanish. She’s dedicated to every aspect of the culture and language. She has shown me so much patience whenever I ask questions about how to say something. I’m convinced she’ll be an amazing teacher. Secondly, you can see joy on her face. I’m not talking about happiness or fulfillment. She radiates joy. Being around her is refreshing, even if we are racing uphill and completely out of breath. Our first night in Otavalo we talk about so much. I’m so thankful I’ve found a sister in the hustle of this city. Surely, she keeps me grounded.
     There must be something in the name Megan, because I don’t think I’ve met a Megan I didn’t like. This gem is so selfless. She is kind and approaches situations with tenderness. Before leaving the States, I knew she would be a positive influence but she is much more. She is deliberate in her actions and shares kindness without a second thought. I love her love. 

     There are so many others that are making this semester amazing. I wish I had the words, time, and space to share all the details but I still have a little homework to finish and don’t want to seem like too much of a creep. I promise there will be a sequel with more amazing people I’ve found in Ecuador, but for now I’ll leave you with a few pictures and a promise that I am safe and loving life here in Ecuador. Times aren’t always easy, but I know I’m not alone.

“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17


Looking over Quito from the top of Cathedral de Quito

Cuicocha
Photo Credit: Courtney Testani

Cochasqui

El Mitad del Mundo


My racing companions JD and Nina


The view during my hike up Pichincha

I've touched the clouds. What's next?

Julia and I absorbing the world around us.
Photo Credit: Alex Scott


“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17

With peace and love, 
Trinity Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment