Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Part 1: The Build Up



   Close your eyes and take a moment to find a word that describes how you feel at the moment. This has been one of the most repeated statements our director has given us the past week (mixed in with a lot of safety tips). I can't find a word at the moment but I'll definitely share one at the end of this post (Strike that. Check Part 2 for the word of choice). Until then, let me tell you about my week.

   The day before I left for Ecuador could not have been more perfect. I had the wonderful opportunity to spend time with my boyfriend James, my family, and my friends as well as wrapping up some last minute details. I've always been a person living multiple lives. There's school life, home life, soccer life,  academic life, church life, camp life, etc. Can I just say how amazing it is to get to share all those aspects of myself with one person? Kudos to James because I barely comprehend my life and I'm the one actively participating in it. Anyways, I had time to visit my dad who had just under gone surgery and say goodbye to him since he couldn't see me off at the airport. It was helpful to both of us. My dad has always been a major support to me and although he can't run on rooftops or whip out awesome moves like Liam Neeson, I know he would fight to the end of the world for me. After that we went to my grandma's and had our Christmas get together. As always, we were blessed with my grandma's amazing cooking. We traded stories, jokes, laughs, and a few gifts. I truly love the simplicity of my family. We may not have much when measuring worldly wares but we have an abundance of joy and love. When it came time to say goodbye, the photo session was short but hugs were long. 


   James and I then left for downtown Indy where I was living with my best friend and her apartment mates. There was a small get together and we were all dressed up.
Thank you to everyone who made my last day in the States
a wonderful one filled with memories!
It was definitely my favorite New Year's Eve party to date. I can't tell you how many times I told people I was leaving for Quito, Ecuador the next day! With every story and every minute the nerves grew and the reality set it. When everyone went to bed, I laid down like a kid waiting for Christmas. Maybe that’s not the right analogy… It was more like stepping off the platform and waiting for the zipline to catch your weight. It seems like a continual fall. You don’t understand why it takes so long. You’re stomach is traveling up to your throat, your knuckles are turning white, and your eyes are in a state of limbo of trying to take everything in while shutting it all out. Then you feel the tug. You feel the fall stop and suddenly there’s just wind in your face. This is coming from a girl who loves the extreme. Every time I step off a platform, start a descent, or whatever activity that causes me to submit my control, I have a moment of fear. The greatest part is the acceptance that I am protected and cared for. I believe a small amount of fear is necessary for every adventure because it provides humility throughout the process. Not to mention when you accomplish your task, there is an amazing satisfaction.


   So the feeling of fear was more than necessary during the morning of my departure. We’re talking shaky legs, no appetite, and hot flashes like I was a middle aged woman. Ya, not the prettiest picture. After saying good bye to my mom, Megan, and James, I slid through security without a problem. Sitting down waiting to depart was the hardest. Thank goodness Mallory called and I had to put on my big girl panties because the dams were about to break. Mallory and the other girls have told me again and again to not take a moment for granted and that they are continually jealous of me. I’m beginning to grasp what they meant (more on that in Part 2).


   Once out of the Indianapolis Airport, things began to settle into place. After being in the Atlanta Airport for less than an hour I had my bank account figured out (that definitely was adding to the nerves and fear), found a few BCA students, and had a delicious Campfire Mocha J The next few hours included talks about goodbyes, schedules, Spanish abilities (or lack of), luggage, and so on. From the moment we started talking my fears began to ease and I knew this was a team and a family I could trust and support. After a few terminal switches and final texts to family, we boarded the plane and set off for Quito! 
This movie definitely helped pass the time. 

Tune in for Part 2 for my adventures in my first week!

With peace and love,
Trinity Ann

1 comment:

  1. Trin, I am in love with your blog. I am so glad we are getting to experience this with you from afar (or kind of closer haha). Praying for you EVERY single day of the week and keep the posts coming! Can't wait to hear what your word is!!!

    ReplyDelete