Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Part 2: A little bit of rave and a little bit of rant


A front view of the hostel where orientation
was held for my first few days in Quito!

Setting: Quito, Ecuador
Time: January 2, 2014 1:00ish
   Imagine the looks on Airport Security faces when 10+ Americans stroll into the airport with broken Spanish and passports saying they are in Ecuador to attend a top, private university. Got it? Ya, that was our welcome early on January 2nd. Now, don’t take this as complaining. If I could go back and be a fly on the wall, I would love to have seen my struggle. The entire time I was standing in front of the worker I was almost certain he was going to tell me to turn around and go home. The distress! Thankfully, I made it by without too much embarrassment for my lack of Spanish skills. At the beginning of the week I figured the less I talk in Spanish, the less I would embarrass myself. There were three major things wrong with this idea. 1) I love to talk. Literally, you can’t shut me up. 2) I’m here to learn Spanish. 3) I lost my pride a long time ago. I pretty much embarrass myself on a daily basis. So we got our passports stamped, picked up luggage, and went to find our Resident Director Chris. Before I knew it, we were on a bus heading to our hostel. A little afer 2:00 ,we entered our new home for the next 3 days and probably woke up whoever was sleeping. 

   Breakfast was at 9:30 the next morning and most of us dragged ourselves out of bed unwillingly. I’m going to be honest. Orientation seems like blur now but I’ll try to highlight some points. Talks included expectations, safety, concerns, safety, BCA trips, safety, living with families, safety, and health. The advice to live by is to have confidence and awareness and to avoid being an idiot. Back it the States, my peers and I could get away with doing some pretty stupid stuff and chalk it up to being young and dumb. News Flash: Ecuador is not the place to push the limits (at least in that aspect). I’ve learned to hail taxis, ride the Ecovia and other buses, and apply some of the Spanish I’ve learned over the past few years. Slowly but surely the Spanish is coming to me. Those random words I learned sophomore year of high school, guess what? They actually do serve a purpose! I’m beginning to actually think in Spanish rather than constantly attempting to translate. It is such a relief. Don’t get me wrong, there is PLENTY that I don’t understand! But I’ve accepted that fact and rolling with what I know. I also have a great group of BCAers who make an effort to answer my questions no matter how often I ask the same question. The BCA program has been such a blessing. Between our leaders Chris and Martha who have done amazing jobs preparing us and my fellow classmates, I feel like I have a great family here. All of the students have these great stories of adventure and experience that makes us dynamic and diverse! And a vast majority of us are hippies who love talking about peace and justice. So I’m happy to say I’ve found a niche. Also, they laugh with me and at me. Most would see this as mixed emotions but I absolutely love it. I can’t tell you how many times over the past 20 years people I called friends have rolled their eyes and distanced themselves from me because I was “Just too much.” No, here in Quito, we laugh a lot and this loss of control is to be embraced. 

Courtney and Julia were the first two people I met in
the Atlanta Airport! Behind us is North Quito.
   Now onto the adventure part of this blog. I’ve been in the country for only a week and I’ve experienced so much. Quito is a very large city with almost all the amenities of a big city it the States. Before you ask, there is nothing I need that I can’t get at a store here. I promise, I’m not in the boonies. Care packages are discouraged but letters are always welcomed! 









The Virgin is modeled after a smaller statue.
There is some conflict because her hand positions
suggest a dance rather than a prayer.
The first of our major adventures was to El Panecillo (which stands for a breadroll). El Panecillo is a hill in the middle of Quito which divides the North and South. Quito sits in a valley, so its width is limited. From El Panecillo, it looks like Quito is never ending. There is so much beauty and serenity from the surrounding mountains. Easily the biggest attraction on El Panecillo is La Virgen de Quito. La Virgen can be seen from many areas of the city but she faces (and blesses) North Quito which is the wealthier area. Her back faces South Quito where homes, wages, and living standards are less. I know a monument like this must face a particular direction but I can’t help to feel sorry for the residents of South Quito. Many in Ecuador practice Catholicism in which the Virgin Mary is an important icon. To have a 45 meter statue symbolic of love and peace turn its back to you when you live with little just seems like rubbing salt in a wound and putting distance in the hearts of residences.
  

   




South Quito and some of the surrounding mountains
The outside of El San Francisco
After visiting El Panecillo, we traveled to the Historical District. The beauty is overwhelming. Colorful buildings hugging stone streets with beautiful churches around every corner. I’ve never understood why a place of worship should be ornate but the sight of gold plated walls, realistic crucifixes, and a vast amount of space that draws the eyes to the heavens definitely leaves an impression. The first cathedral we visited is called El San Francisco. It was actually built by many of the indigenous people of Ecuador after being conquered by the Spanish conquistadors. After construction was done, workers weren’t even allowed to enter the church because the indigenous people were believed to not have souls. Great job Church! 

The inside of El San Francisco. This isn't even
a fraction of the gold in other cathedrals in Quito.
Thankfully, the Church has reevaluated its previous beliefs. Although there is still a major divide in social classes in Ecuador, all are welcomed in San Francisco now. We spent a few more hours in the Historical District learning about Quito’s tainted past before heading to El Rondo for the most delicious dinner of fritadas!

   Today we visited La Capilla del Hombre which stands for The Chapel of Man. This is a museum dedicated to the work of a famous Ecuadorian artist named Oswaldo Guayasamín who focused on representing the oppression and poverty in Ecuador and other nations. My heart was breaking the entire time. These massive paintings showed such despair, angst, and anger. Walking around the museum with a guide that explained every situation from starvation to mutilation pulled at my heart strings. The pain these people suffered at the hands of fellow humans was brutal and monstrous. When I saw the following paintings, I had to take a moment. Please join me.

The first three paintings are part of a series called Río de Sangre which stands for river of blood. The center painting represents a man in a position to be executed. These are displayed adjacent to each other.










This painting is called Lágrimas de Sangre or Tears of Blood
I live such a life of excess! I complain of nothing to wear when I have too much to fit into a closet. Who am I to not show compassion and take action against such atrocities? I right my wrongs by saying that I’m from America and that I live in a different world. What crap is that? Were we not all placed on this one Earth to care and love one another? To fight against injustice? To live life to the fullest? Maybe I am insane to be so broken by artwork, but I have to believe differently. The homelessness I see on the streets here in Quito are no different than the homelessness in Indianapolis, Indiana or Monterrey, Mexico. We are created equal. I was born into a life of excess. I did nothing for my mom to have a stable job to support a family of four. I did not seek out a school system that would grow me to one day receive a full scholarship to college. Let’s be honest, this life is out of my hands. I’ve been given more than I could ever imagine and I can’t help but to feel a conviction to act and give of myself. How? I do not know. But I’m tired of sitting pretty and judging those who walk pass.
   There is much more to talk about but I’ll leave you with those to stir in you heart and mind. I pray that you don’t simply return to facebook, twitter, Netflix, or other mindless sites. Take at least five minutes and think.

With peace and love,
Trinity Ann

P.S. Conviction.








2 comments:

  1. So Trinity, God has most certainly blessed you. What He asks of you is to glorify Him in all that you do. Live out Micah 6:8
    Blessings,
    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becca! That is a strong passage that I needed to hear! :)

      "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

      Delete